flying above it
as the wing sheers off
Adams and St. Helens in a fantastical
it is a snake, a continuum
an elegant woman
cutting through the immensity
of green, a blue cut-
the artery of itself
there is not an ounce of fatigue
within her, she
of her gash through claystone .
…and what is gorge?
1. A deep narrow passage with steep rocky sides; a ravine.
2. A narrow entrance into the outwork of a fortification.
3. The throat; the gullet: The gory sight made my gorge rise.
4. The crop of a hawk.
5. An instance of gluttonous eating.
6. The contents of the stomach; something swallowed.
7. A mass obstructing a narrow passage: a shipping lane blocked by an ice gorge.
8. The seam on the front of a coat or jacket where the lapel and the collar are joined.
and so it is many things,
and within its particulars
dwells an entrance, an exit-
a loop of tangled limbs.
to thread and heal-
this is what we know, to be and done
again, the water as thread, blue, thread
through itself, joining, eating the earth
August 2010, Colombia Gorge flying into Portland, Oregon